Let’s talk: dog muzzles aren’t just for aggression

Top Dog Tips - Let`s Talk about DogsDog muzzles are a controversial piece of training equipment, but they can be used for more than just aggression – just make sure you know what you’re doing. It is a common misconception that muzzles are only used to keep aggressive dogs from biting. On the contrary, muzzles can be used for many different types of training, and they’ve been proven to be quite effective.

Video: Britain's Got Talent 2015 S09E01 Hilarious Animal Act Fails Full Video

Remember, a muzzle is not an acceptable alternative to socialization and proper training. if your dog is showing signs of aggression you need to work with a trained professional. You should not be training an aggressive dog without experience.

Muzzles have become known to many dog owners as inhumane, but that couldn’t be farther from the truth. Muzzles can be used to protect your dog, yourself and other people around you while you’re training. I decided to write my column this week on the many appropriate use of muzzles to try and dispel the negative images associated with these training tools.

Let’s Talk: Dog Muzzles Aren’t Just for Aggression

Dog Muzzles Aren`t Just for Aggression

Video: How to handle a hormonally aggressive eclectus

When can dog muzzles be used?

I’m a firm believer that all dogs, no matter what their temperament may be, should be trained to wear a muzzle. Maybe you’ll never need to use one, but if your dog is comfortable wearing one then you’ll never have to worry. The reason that I say this is because no matter how well you know your canine companion, you never know what variables may play into any given situation.

When a dog is scared, anxious or nervous – no matter what dog it is – his reaction is ALWAYS unpredictable. Maybe your dog has always been well-behaved during vet visits, but what if you need to get a new vet for some reason or your dog needs emergency treatment? Changing any of the variables of a vet visit gives way to the potential for an unpredictable response from the dog.

If everyone knew exactly when and where there was going to bite someone, there would never be any dog bite cases making the local news.

Oftentimes if a dog seems stressed the professional working with them – whether it be a trainer, groomer or veterinarian – will muzzle the pet for safety reasons. If your dog has experience wearing a muzzle, this won’t be an issue.

Reviews & Comments

Related posts